Please Share If You Like This News

Buffer Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn Pinterest Print Reddit StumbleUpon Tumblr Twitter VK Yummly

The bus driver and helper accused of raping and murdering Shahinoor Akter Tania, a nurse, inside a bus have confessed to their crime, police sources said. Police also seized the bus of Swarnalata Paribahan (Dhaka Metro-Ba-15-42-74) used in the crime from Kapasia upazila in Gazipur district on Friday. Investigators found blood spots in three places inside the bus, the sources revealed. - A home for your website

According to police, the driver and helper were joined by two accomplices in raping Tania. Later, they threw her out of the moving bus in a bid to kill her. On Tuesday, the victim’s father had lodged a murder and rape case with Bajitpur police station against the driver, Md. Nuruzzaman (39), helper Lalon Mia (33), and some unknown persons. Later, police arrested five people, including the driver and helper, for the crime, said OC of Bajitpur police station Khalilur Rahman Patwari.

A Kishoreganj court remanded the accused to eight days in police custody on Thursday.

Talking about the case, SP (Kishoreganj) Md. Masrokur Rahman said the investigation was progressing smoothly. “We have recovered the victim’s mobile phone and clothes. We are sure that she was murdered after being gang raped inside the moving bus,” he said.

Earlier, the accused driver and helper tried to divert the investigation by giving false information about the incident.

Based on this, police had seized another bus, but found no evidence of the crime.

Later, however, the accused spilled the beans under sustained interrogation.

On the night of May 6, Tania, who worked as a nurse with Ibn Sina Hospital’s Kalyanpur branch in Dhaka, was found dead under mysterious circumstances on a road on her way to home in Kishoreganj’s Katiadi upazila. Her nose, neck, legs and hands bore injury marks which suggested that she had a scuffle. The back of her head was fractured as well, informed civil surgeon Md. Habibur Rahman. “The autopsy clearly pointed to rape and murder,” he said. “There was excessive bleeding due to rape and semen was found on the body as well,” he added.

On the cause of death, Rahman revealed: “Tania was hit by a heavy object on the back of her head. Her skull broke due to the impact and there was internal haemorrhage. Such impacts usually cause instant death. Even if that is not the case, it’s a matter of 30 to 40 minutes maximum before a person dies.”

Also yesterday, hundreds of nurses staged a protest against Tania’s rape and murder and demanded justice for her.

The protesters under the banner of Bangladesh Nurses’ Association (BNA) formed a human chain in front of Jatiya Press Club to demand speedy trial and exemplary punishment for the culprits.

BNA general secretary Md. Asadujjaman Jewel said the incident was a blow to the safety and dignity of all the nurses in the country. “We will take tougher action in case of any delay in justice for Tania,” he warned.

The president of the BNA branch of Sir Salimullah Medical College and Hospital, Jorina Khatun, said, “We don’t feel safe anywhere, not even in our workplaces.” The BNA members, however, expressed satisfaction over the quick arrest of the accused.


Report by - //

Facebook Comments